Puggle Care – 10 Hazards To Be Aware of…

Good Puggle care is about making sure your home is a safe and happy environment for your dog. Dogs have a naturally curious and mischievous nature. In other words, they will get into anything and everything if given half the chance. The following are 10 items that you may have around your home which are hazardous to your dog’s health –

  • Antifreeze – Antifreeze tastes like a sweet treat to your dog, and will be very appealing to him/her. Although vital to your vehicle in the winter, antifreeze is incredibly poisonous to dogs and can kill them. Signs to watch for in your dog include: vomiting, lethargy, stumbling and seizures. Should you suspect that your dog has ingested antifreeze call your vet immediately.

Make sure you store antifreeze on a high shelf or in a locked cupboard to avoid spills or the chance of your dog getting into it.

  • Bleach – Household bleach is extremely toxic to dogs and can lead to death if ingested. Signs of bleach poisoning including vomiting, excessive drooling, and stomach pain. If you suspect or know your dog has ingested bleach, as part of your Puggle care you should not induce vomiting – call the vet immediately.

Store bleach in a locked cupboard or high shelf for safety.

  • Chocolate – Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains obromine. Chocolate can kill dogs if ingested in small or large amounts. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination and activity, and can lead to seizures. Call your vet immediately if you suspect your Puggle has ingested chocolate.

Make sure chocolate candies are where your dog can’t reach them, especially when you have guests over for the holidays.

  • Detergent – There are a variety of household detergents and other chemicals that are incredibly toxic to dogs. You are responsible for Puggle care and, therefore, need to ensure that fabric softener, clothing and dish detergent, bathroom cleaners, etc. are kept in a safe place far from your dog’s reach. The following are the signs and symptoms that may occur if your dog is suffering from chemical poisoning: Excessive drooling, vomiting, lethargy, muscle weakness, mouth burns, and even a coma. Contact your Vet right away and do not induce vomiting.
  • Fruit pits and seeds – The pits and seeds of most fruits are actually toxic to dogs. Excessive drooling, vomiting and lethargy are the common symptoms exhibited by dogs that have been poisoned by fruit pits and/or seeds. Your dog should be taken to the Vet right away.

Do not leave the garbage lying around where your dog can get at it, and keep fruit out of your dog’s reach.

  • House plants – Many of the lovely plants you have in your home can actually be deadly to your dog. Some toxic plants include aloe, ferns, lilies and ivy. If your dog has ingested a toxic plant, the following are symptoms to watch for: vomiting and a stimulated nervous system. Be sure to contact your Vet right away.

Make sure you find out if your plants are harmful to your pet. Keep those that are not out of his/her reach. However, if you do have plants that are toxic to dogs, the best Puggle care you can employ is to rid your house of such plants.

  • Mothballs – Moth balls are pure poison to dogs. This shouldn’t surprise you considering the fact that moth balls contain insecticide. A dog that ingests a moth ball will likely have symptoms of vomiting and seizures. Your dog needs immediate veterinary care if you suspect or saw him/her ingest a moth ball. Do not induce vomiting and rush them to the Vet right away as moth balls can result in liver failure.

If you use moth balls, get rid of them for your dog’s safety.

  • MouthwashThe product you love that gives you minty fresh breath doesn’t provide your dog with the same benefits. Most mouthwashes actually have an ingredient known as boric acid in them. Boric acid is extremely toxic to dogs and when ingested, leads to symptoms including excessive drooling, vomiting, seizures and coma. Your dog should be taken to his/her Vet right away if you suspect or know that this poisoning has occurring. Note: Boric acid can also be found in denture cleaner and contact lens solution.  

Keep mouthwash and other Boric acid items out of reach for best Puggle care.

  • Tylenol – Tylenol (acetaminophen) can be quite deadly to dogs. This drug is particularly toxic to dogs because canines do not have the necessary liver enzymes to break it down. Symptoms of Tylenol toxicity including: excessive drooling, lethargy and stomach pain. Call your Vet right away.

Keep Tylenol and all medication in a proper medicine cabinet well out of your dog’s reach.

  • Watch batteries – It only takes 12 hours for an ingested watch battery to kill your dog. Swallowing a watch battery can result in a fatal stomach ulceration. Any alkaline battery produces this same effect and symptoms include: excessive drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting. See your vet for immediate Puggle care if you suspect your dog has swallowed a battery.

Keep all batteries in a safe, secure location far from the reach of your Puggle.

Getting Better Puggle Puppy Behavior

One of the first things you will notice about your Puggle puppy is that his/her behaviors are not fully developed. This means that what he/she learns in the first few months in your care is critical to their overall development. Therefore, you need to know how to encourage acceptable behavior so your puppy knows his/her place in your family. Encouragement is harnessed through training, socialization, and – believe it or not – exercise.

That’s right, providing your dog with sufficient exercise actually helps you gain control over your pet, and makes the teaching process all the more tolerable. It has been found that dogs that are not provided the ideal amount of exercise recommended for their breed are prone to destructive behaviors such as destroying property and digging. Dogs were not bred to be idle and will find other ways to release their energy if you don’t provide them with a positive outlet.

A Puggle puppy that has been allowed to release their energy on a regular basis will be easier to control, and is more apt to listen and cooperate during training, as they won’t have any pent up energy making them feel anxious, frustrated and distracted.

Although exercising your dog is good for his/her health, helps improve training, and makes for an all around happy dog, many owners find it difficult to find the time to provide the dog with the exercise they need. Busy and irregular work schedules, fatigue, and space limitations can create problems. However, these obstacles can and need to be overcome if you want a happy dog with a first class behavior.

The following are some helpful tips you can apply to ensure your Puggle puppy is receiving the exercise he/she needs.

  • Know the exercise your dog needs – First, find out how much exercise your dog requires daily. This includes walks and playtime. Remember, the younger the dog, the more energy he/she has and needs to burn. A Puggle puppy requires one – two hours of energy burning fun per day.

This doesn’t mean your dog should be taken on long one hour walks, nor does it mean you should provide your dog with two hours of exercise all at once. Split the time up evenly between different activities. For instance, two twenty minute walks, 10 minute run around in the yard, and an hour and ten minutes of play time. Remember, you don’t need to vigorously exercise your dog, if he/she’s moving, they’re burning energy.

  • Walk – Take the time to go for a nice walk. You may not be able to take your Puggle on a nice long walk everyday, but you need to make the effort to make your walk last longer than the time it takes for your dog to eliminate. Walking is a great way for both you and your Puggle puppy to get exercise. Best of all, walking also gives you time to bond.
  • Play fetch – If you’ve had a long day and you just want to relax, why not sit down in a comfy chair, grab your Puggle’s favorite toy and play a good game of fetch. Your Puggle will enjoy the attention, he/she will get their exercise, and you can relax.
  • Indoor treadmill – If you can walk the treadmill, so can your dog… provided he/she’s been trained properly first. Training your dog how to walk on a treadmill allows him/her to exercise as they would normally on a walk. This is a particularly good idea for those who have limited yard space or have busy schedules and cannot always take their dogs on nice walks. If you are interested in teaching your Puggle puppy how to walk on a treadmill, speak to you vet first.